Weekend flowers

Actea racemosa. I liked the name better when it was known as Cimicifuga racemosa. This native of the woodlands of the eastern U.S. is also known as black cohosh, bugbane, black snakeroot or fairy candle and has a long history as a medicinal plant.

There are two wondeful things about these plants in my upstate garden: they take care of themselves for weeks at a time while I'm not there AND the deer don't eat them. The art director in me loves photographing them against the walls of our dark house.

 'Bowles Black' viola


 'Pam's Choice' foxglove



 Unknown foxglove variety


Unknown foxglove variety

Serbian bellflower (Campanula poscharskyana) 

3 comments:

ModFruGal said...

The Actea racemosa is stunning...and just what I need...still educating myself on deer resistant plantings and this looks a winner for my zone as well. Thanks!

Stephen Orr said...

Hi MFG.
It is one of my favorites. It grows to about 4-5 ft tall but it's so wiry that it doesn't block anything. All the leaves are at the base

Sophie Munns said...

These are stunning images...
especially liked the Actea racemosa.
Also was pleased to be introduced to this fascinating painter Burchfield.
Great inspiration thank you!
Sophie