Scott McFarland

Inspecting, Allan O'Connor Searches for Botrytis

Sometimes in our desire to be eco-green warriors we forget what an unnatural art form gardening can be. Without our almost daily care, even the most naturalistic garden will soon began its progression back to a common field.

Canadian artist Scott McFarland reminds us of this symbiotic alliance between humans and plants in this series of photographs I came across the other day.

As a magazine garden editor who has spent years striving (unconsciously?) to keep the more mundane, behind-the-scenes work invisible from magazine readers, I appreciate McFarland's unromantic revelation of what all goes on backstage before the curtain to the general public rises.
From his gallery:
"The space of the garden has long been affiliated with that of photography - many early photographers experimented with the cumbersome, expensive medium by photographing their immediate outdoor surroundings; McFarland has suggested associations between the idiosyncrasies in garden maintenance and those of photographic development processes. Both gardening and photography utilize the same basic elements; light for exposure and energy and liquids for hydration and processing."


Cutting on a Slope 2002

Analyzing, Ryan Otto Conducts Water Test 2003

Filtering, Peter Harrison Changing Water Pump

On the Terrace Garden, Joe and Rosalie Segal with Cosmos atrosanguineus, 2004

Spraying, Norman Whaley Applying Aphid Solution, 2004

Trimming, Late Summer, Sarwan Thind 1999

3 comments:

John B said...

beautiful work. I'm glad to know about him

Jim Collins said...

My teenage dream was not to get laid or own a car but to someday have my own perennial flower garden, with delphiniums, lilies and lupines. I moved to San Francisco to grow the delphiniums, and now I have my flower garden. I'm often annoyed by how little effort people seem to think a nice garden takes. There seems almost a genetic level reaction, it's made of plants, they grow by themselves, what's to keep it from becoming a garden. There are alas few pictures of anyone working on my garden because it's just me. I need one good photo of me covered in filth shoveling dirt. It's not a pretty picture.

Stephen Orr said...

Well I think a nice earthy portrait would be beautiful! I have a good muddy one of me planting bulbs in the front lawn a few years ago...I look like a gopher!