For Mom

My mother and I used to enjoy watching the 1949 movie The Secret Garden, featuring one of her favorites, Margaret O'Brienwhen it happened to come on television. It's a beautifully dark picture along the lines of another 1940s movie that starred O'Brien, Jane Eyre. I still like its gothic spookiness and also how it celebrates the natural interest that, given the opportunity, children have in nature. Well, at least I hope they still have that interest...test yours and see.

This older version hasn't been released on DVD but you can watch the entire film split into parts on youtube. Be sure to hit the "HQ" high quality button on the youtube browser.







Double-click to view the other segments on You Tube

3 comments:

Xtine said...

Thanks so much for posting this movie. It's a favorite and I haven't seen it in years!

Germi said...

What a lovely Mother's Day gift - I misted up a little...
Love this movie; I even like the lush re-make!

(I couldn't help that last bit of punctuation)

Stephen said...

Thank Germi! Yes I like the new one too