What were the skies like when you were young?

Listen to the inspiration for the name of this blog the 1990 ambient techno classic,
"Little Fluffy Clouds" by The Orb

Little Fluffy Clouds (Cumulonimbus mix)


Levar Burton: "What were the skies like when you were young?"

Rickie Lee Jones: "They went on forever,
when we lived in Arizona, and the skies had little fluffy
clouds in 'em
and they were long and clear
and there were lots of stars at night
and when it rained it would all turn.
They were beautiful...
the most beautiful skies as a matter of fact.
The sunsets were purple and red and yellow and on fire
and the clouds would catch the colors everywhere.
That's...it's neat because I used to look at them all the time
when I was little.
You don't see that
You might still see them in the desert."


And here's another version:
Listen to "Walking On Clouds" by Flying White Dots

7 comments:

bb said...

I never knew that was Rickie Lee Jones...sounds like she has a cold

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I haven't heard this song in years!

Marc Hachadourian said...

A master garden writer and a fan of the orb....doesn't get much better than that.

Stephen Orr said...

Hi Marc: garden writer and a fan of the orb = nerd alert I think!

J said...

I love the name, so
poetic, so inspiring. I love the pause it demanded in my day and the
reminder to live with my head in the clouds. We need to be reminded about
art and poetry now more than ever. Thank you

genevieve said...

I love it when she says "...they were long, and clear....". And I love that Levar Burton is the interviewer. Recently found the source material for the sample, it's great to listen to!

Nice blog btw!

Bush Babee said...

I like this post.