Spring Glory at Wave Hill





Click photographs to enlarge

How many photographs of chionodoxa (glory-of-the-snow) does a person need? I need a lot evidently. 

I spent almost two hours early this morning [thank you Marilyn!] trying to capture shots of the fleeting beauties at Wave Hill in the Bronx. They seem to grow with a recklessness there like I've never seen anywhere else. They sprout up all over—on the woodland hillside, in the grass, in the pumpkin patch, in the cracks between the stones. I half expected to find some cheerfully sprouting in my sneakers when I got back home.

Reportedly all these bulbs came from one planting of Chionodoxa sardensis that were planted years ago by Marco Polo Stufano, the garden's first Director of Horticulture. The descendants of that original group most likely have been disseminated around the garden via the scattering of their seed in leaf mulch, by the work of busy squirrels, or both.

Some might call these natives of the eastern Mediterranean weedy. Oh, but only if weeds gave so much beauty so early in the year, then quietly disappeared, without causing any trouble for the rest of the season. I have some at my house upstate, but though I love them, they don't make nearly such a huge display as here. Maybe it's the prime Hudson-view real estate at Wave Hill that inspires them to put on their best show. 

Don't miss a visit to see the glory-of-the-snow in their full glory for at least this week (if nota bit longer). I waited 20 years to make a visit at the appropriate time to catch them and I'm so glad I didn't wait any longer.

"These are not bulbs to be cherished as individual flowers, but they rate a doxology when planted in quantity." —Elizabeth Lawrence, The Little Bulbs








2 comments:

REllis said...

Gee how many are there??

Andrew said...

What other types of naturalizing ground cover bloom so prolifically? And how do I convince the squirrels in our garden to start doing their bit, instead of only eating the delicate new leaves of spring flowering bulbs?