Ceramicists—Part 1


I like ceramicists. In fact, sometimes I wonder if I unintentionally collect them. 

Maybe it's because they work with the earth, or perhaps it's because you can (sometimes) put flowers in objects that they make with their own hands. I have several potters or ceramicists, among my friends.

Pamela Sunday is one such friend. She makes sculptural objects that are inspired by nature. They remind me of cells, plankton and most all the work, below, of Ernst Haeckel (1834-1919), a 19th century artist and biologist.

Pamela has a studio in Brooklyn and if you're near the west side of Manhattan in the next few days, she is showing her work at the Architectural Digest Home Design Show March 26-29 at Pier 94 in a section called Made.

Two of our Pamela Sunday pieces. Sad to say that the sphere on the left broke during a move. However I think it's still really beautiful in its altered state.


Some of Pamela's latest sculptures

5 comments:

Delphine said...

What a beautiful blog ! Thank you...
i'a tagged you here :
http://paradisexpress.blogspot.com/2009/03/what-were-skies-like.html

Stephen Orr said...

Merci beaucoup Delphine!

I love receiving compliments, especially in French on your blog. Thank you so much for posting about me.

A bientot,
Stephen

Jim/ArtofGardening said...

Je suis d'accord avec Delphine.

I found your blog through her post on yours. Art/design/gardening? I'm going to have to pour over every post.

Posey Parker said...

Gorgeous! Inspiring!

Germi said...

Oh, Haekel, Haekel - I LOVE his work ... I used a bit of one of his prints (orchids) for my business cards.

... and in a world where any old Johnny C. Lately can hang out a shingle and call himself a ceramicist, it is lovely to see some beautiful, lyrical work that comes from a place of obvious authenticity.

Thank you for another thoughtful post!